The successful candidate will become a 1099 contractor with Music Ministry International and provided services in support of the Naval Station Norfolk Base Chapel Command’s Religious Program for special events, ceremonies and worship. This musician shall:
- perform Protestant Musician Leader services required to support the missions and responsibilities of the Naval Station Norfolk Chapel Command Religious program
- perform up to 124 units for the chapel. A unit is defined as one event, such as a worship service, a choir rehearsal, a special event, etc. A unit is typically one hour to one and one half hours in length.
- provide for one (1) Protestant Sunday service per week for a total of 52 units. Protestant service shall start at approximately 1030 and estimated to last about one hour. Schedule is subject to change; two weeks’ notice of any change will be provided to contractor.
- conduct music rehearsals for a total of 52 rehearsals. The rehearsals shall include rehearsal time for special musical selections. Rehearsals shall last approximately one (1) hour. Determination of day of the week and time of rehearsals is at consultation with and the Command Chaplain.
- provide special religious services, as determined by the Command Chaplain which may include, but are not limited to: Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, New Years, Maundy Thursday, and Good Friday – not to exceed 10 units per year.
- provide for memorial services and special events, as determined by the Command Chaplain – not to exceed 10 services per year.
- consult weekly with the Command Chaplain, or Protestant Chapel Pastor if so designated by Command Chaplain. Contractor is expected to maintain a professional and respectful demeanor toward military staff that is essential to effective teamwork and mission accomplishment.
- recommend relevant musical selections, with Protestant service selections tied to liturgical year, but with final determination of musical selections always resting with the Officiating Chaplain. The Protestant Chapel pastor may elect to select all or some of music, and will notify the musician of his/her preference as to who selects music. Short-term nature of memorial services may preclude significant time lead notice to the musician of selections made by the officiating chaplain.
- lead congregation in worship music with the support of a choir and/or praise team; and will recruit and train choir and/or praise team members for performance.
- arrive for all services no later than 30 minutes prior to the start of the service.
- develop rapport, and promote team building within the Protestant volunteer choirs, praise teams, and/or other choral groups.
At least two years leading and directing accompanying and leading Protestant Worship in a mainline religion or additional experience in Protestant Contemporary Music are preferred.
Interested Candidates are requested to forward their resume together with three references from individuals who can attest to the candidate’s good work and steadiness. Candidates who do not possess the specific attributes/qualifications in "Additional Requirements" above need not apply. This is a part-time position with compensation based on budget and the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications..
Apply directly at: https://music-ministry.jobsoid.com (scroll down to “Norfolk”). Your application must include three (3) references including one priest or pastor who can attest to your abilities as they relate to this job posting. References must include: name, title, organization, relationship to you, email address (necessary field) and phone number. Depending on security software, candidates are requested to monitor spam folders for further application communications from MMI.