The successful candidate for this position will be a 1099 musician pianist with Music Ministry International and be responsible for the following:
Objectives: Services rendered under this contract will provide for Gospel Protestant service music support and on a regular basis for Prussman Chapel Gospel Protestant Community at Ft. Carson, Colorado. Musician shall play the piano at all scheduled regular and special worship services and rehearsals. Special worship services include memorials.
Period of Performance: The period of performance shall be for up to four years.
COMPENSATION: Is paid for each event monthly for Gospel services 52 services, 52 rehearsals and 10 special events and 10 special rehearsals each year for a total of 114 events per year.
Pianist should be familiar with worship music in the Gospel tradition and be able to:
Have three years of current experience as a piano accompanist in the gospel or contemporary Protestant worship traditions
Read and improvise from a chord chart and play by ear when necessary
Adapt performance style to changing rhythms and tempo
Be responsive to musical direction and have an overall positive attitude
Be comfortable working in an ecumenical pluralistic chapel setting
Basic Services: The musician pianist shall:
- Be at the chapel 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the service or rehearsal.
- Begin playing music five minutes prior to the start of the service/program as people arrive. Play the piano for the prelude, choral call to worship, praise choruses, congregational hymns, special music arrangements, prayer time instrumental music, choral amen, and the postlude i.e. music related to the style of worship during these services.
- Provide or obtain the Hymn numbers for weekly services and special services from the chapel office during the work week prior to the service/program. Music selections are designated or approved by the pastor conducting the service or the choir director, if service has a choir director.
- Provide Piano Music for the Weekly Services. Musician pianist shall provide musical accompaniment on the piano during the weekly worship services to include preludes, postludes, offertories, congregational hymns, and other music as selected during the worship hour; music performed by the choir, and soloists as coordinated by the choir director to include “warm-ups” of fifteen minutes or less prior to the service. The weekly service shall include the 52 regular services.
- Provide Piano Music for Rehearsals. 52 regular rehearsals and 10 special rehearsals
- Provide Piano Music for Special Services. Musician pianist shall provide musical accompaniment on the piano during special services for memorials and funerals, to include preludes, postludes, offertories, congregational hymns, and other music as selected during the worship hour; music performed by the choir, and soloists as coordinated by the choir director to include “warm-ups” of fifteen minutes or less prior to the service. The number of special services shall not exceed ten (10) per year.
- Be well groomed, neat and give a professional appearance at all times when exercising the tasks of this contract.
- The Musician pianist shall provide a qualified alternate musician when unable to personally perform for worship services. The musician pianist shall coordinate with COR/Chapel Pastor two (2) days prior to the scheduled services. The musician pianist shall provide the name and telephone number of the alternate musician. In the event that the alternate musician is a U.S. military member or DoD civilian, the musician pianist shall brief them to obtain prior proper approvals before performing.
Interested Candidates are requested to forward their resume together with three references from individuals who can attest to the candidate’s good work and steadiness. Candidates who do not possess at least three years of recent steady performance as a Gospel pianist accompanist in a church or chapel need not apply. This is a part-time position with compensation based on budget and the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications.